Suburban Community Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute care hospital, and a member of the Prime Healthcare Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity.
For over 65 years, Suburban Community Hospital has been delivering quality
healthcare to Montgomery County and the surrounding region.
Suburban Community Hospital, originally named Riverview Hospital, opened
in 1944. Chartered at 740 Sandy Street in Norristown, PA, Riverview Osteopathic
Hospital would provide medical and surgical services to the sick, afflicted
and injured, and would educate persons in the care and nursing.
In the mid-1940s and 1950s, the community grew and Riverview Hospital's
occupancy rate increased considerably. In 1958, ground was broken for
an expansion wing, that would provide additional patient rooms, a new
dining room, an expanded emergency room, and a new elevator. By 1962,
Riverview Hospital was operating as an 80-bed hospital with a professional
staff of 47 physicians, while becoming a member of the
Hospital Association of Pennsylvania.
In early 1970, the ground breaking was held for the East Norriton site.
As the steel skeleton framework began to rise, a new name for the hospital
was discussed. Sentiment for the old revered Riverview was on the minds
of many, while a new hospital, new location and new name was also on their
minds. After much discussion and debate, the name Suburban General Hospital
was chosen. In 1972, the construction was completed and the ribbon-cutting
was conducted. Suburban General Hospital opened its doors as a 153-bed,
acute care, teaching hospital.
For more than twenty five years, Suburban General Hospital provided the
community with quality health care and services right in their own neighborhood.
In 1981, the Suburban General Healthcare System was established. During
the ensuing years multiple entities were established under the parent
Then, in 1997, with the oversight and approval of the Professional Staff
and Board of Directors, Suburban General Healthcare System signed a Memorandum
of Understanding with Mercy Health System. In January 1999, a Blessing
and Dedication ceremony was celebrated by His Eminence Anthony Cardinal
Bevilacqua, and Suburban General Hospital became Mercy Suburban Hospital
and part of Mercy Health System of Southeastern Pennsylvania.
In order to grow its capabilities even further, in February 2016 the hospital
was acquired by
Prime Healthcare, a nationally renowned health system consisting of more than 40 hospitals
in 14 states, and dozens of affiliated groups and care facilities. As
part of that transition, the hospital changed its name to Suburban Community
Hospital to reflect its dedication to the community that it’s been
part of for more than 70 years.
The hospital is extremely proud to have trained hundreds of physicians
throughout the years, many of whom continue to practice in the community
and are on staff at Suburban Community Hospital.
In 2004, in response to community growth and development the hospital
added a new, "green" addition to house a new 30-treatment room
Emergency Department, Laboratory and Surgical Services Suite. Additionally,
new equipment and technology was purchased. In the last several years,
many areas in the hospital have been modernized.
As Suburban Community Hospital continues to expand the East Norriton location
to meet the needs of the community, it is with great pride that we reflect
on our beginnings on Sandy Street. With the modern technology and new
facilities, patients can be assured that the quality, compassionate care
that characterized Riverview Osteopathic Hospital and Suburban General
Hospital still embodies Suburban Community Hospital today.